EWA Advocacy Toolkit: The Geriatrics Workforce Enhancement Program
EWA created this toolkit to help advocates educate Congress on the need for a healthcare workforce that is trained to care for older adults.
In this toolkit, we provide advocates and GWEP staff with the tools and information needed to educate Congress on (1) the importance having a health workforce well-prepared to care for our aging society, (2) the importance of maintaining and expanding Title VII and VIII funding through the annual appropriations process, and (3) the need for Congress to reauthorize Title VII and VIII, which sanction the formation of the GWEPs.
The toolkit includes the following information:
- Why Become an Advocate Now?
- What You Should Know About Perceptions of Aging (And Why They Matter)
- GWEP Appropriations and Authorization
- Steps Towards Effective Congressional Advocacy
- Congressional Primer
- Background on the Title VII and VIII Geriatrics Health Professions Program
- Topical Research and Information
- Glossery of Terms
GWEP Advocacy Tools:
- Geriatrics Workforce Enhancement Program One Pager
- Map of GWEPs in the US
- GWEP Advocacy Quick Guide (with phone call talking points)
- Email Congress today!
Additional GWEP Resources from EWA:
- Learn more about EWA's GWEP funding request and download our Appropriations Issue Brief.
- See which members of congress have already pledged their support for eldercare workforce programs.
- Read EWA's statement on President Trump's proposed cuts to health workforce training programs.
GWEP Resources from Partner Organiztaions
- NAGE: GWEP Action Alert (April 2017)
- NAGE: GWEP Overview
- John A Hartford Foundation, n4a: GWEPs & Community-Based Programs: Improving the Quality of Care for Older Adults