EWA Advocacy Toolkit: The Geriatrics Workforce Enhancement Program
EWA created this toolkit to help advocates educate Congress on the need for a healthcare workforce that is trained to care for older adults.
In this toolkit, we provide advocates with the tools and information needed to educate Congress on (1) the importance of maintaining and expanding Title VII and VIII geriatrics training funding through the annual appropriations process , (2) the need to for Congress to reauthorize Titles VII and VIII which provide funding for the Geriatrics Workforce Enhancement Program (GWEP); and (3) the importance of expanding funding for Title VII and VIII Geriatrics Health Professions Program.
The toolkit includes the following information:
- Why Become an Advocate Now?
- What You Should Know About Perceptions of Aging (And Why They Matter)
- GWEP Appropriations and Authorization
- Steps Towards Effective Congressional Advocacy
- Congressional Primer
- Background on the Title VII and VIII Geriatrics Health Professions Program
- Topical Research and Information
- Glossery of Terms